Thursday 11 March 2010

Quick rant before I go back to bed - Organ Donation

Right.I was in the car and that advert came on the radio, the one where you hear a beeping machine and the narrator asks "what would you do if your loved one needed an organ. Would you leave it for a while?" and then the machine stops beeping and flatlines. This advert got me thinking. When I applied for my provisional driving licence, at the tender age of 17, I ticked the donate anything box. Now listen, I think it is great that somebody would want to donate their organs when they die, but I would love to know why they would only donate one or two organs but not all of them? A friend of mine told me once she would donate her heart but not her eyes. I asked her 'why not your eyes?' she said 'cos I wouldn't be able to see' Errrrrrrrrrrr your dead, you don't need your eyes bloody idiot!

If you are dead, do you really need your lungs, your eyes, your kidneys and so on and so forth? No you don't! What angers me more than anything is that there are people on this planet who are complete bastards and have never done anything good for anybody else. But what if their death could save someone else's life? It would give their life some meaning, they wouldn't have been such a big waste of space after all.

Now, I also understand some people do not donate organs for religious reasons, and of course I understand that religion is important. But for those people who don't like the idea of being cut open, or only want to donate certain bits of themselves "YOU WILL BE DEAD YOU WON'T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE".

I may have angered some people who are reading this post, as I'm sure everybody has their own opinion about what is right or wrong. Some of you will agree with me, some of you will want to hit me. But let me just say this, I have three wonderful children. If one of my children ever got sick, God forbid, and the only thing that could save my child's life is another child's organ I would take it. If my child had died, and he or she could save another child then I would gladly offer another parent my child's organs. Granted I would hate the idea of somebody mutilating my child's body, but I think knowing that my child has saved another child's life is more important.

On August 11th 2007, the day I gave birth to my premature son, I almost died. Three blood transfusions saved me. I wanted to find the people who had donated their blood and thank each one of them personally. Without them I wouldn't be here. When you come close to death, you see the world with a different perspective. You want to help as many people as you possibly can because you are so bloody grateful that your still breathing.

Bit of a tense one today, apologies for offending anyone.

Ciao xxxx

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you Vicky. It's a horrid thought being cut open, but as an athiest, not beleiveing in an after life etc, I cant think of a reason NOT to donate all of me. God knows I'd take anything that was going if I was ill!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know !!!Me too, most people would probably take a diseased lung if it meant they could live for another ten years. I don't really believe in the after life to be honest, however lately I have started to think ghosts may exist ! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if there is an afterlife it'd be the soul that carried on and that would have nothing to do with the body. When i'm gone they can take everything they want. I totally agree with you two, if my organs could save someone's life then they can have any part of me; my heart, liver, eyes, anything that could help another person. xx

    ReplyDelete